Monday, October 21, 2013

Meet GILLIAN ROUGIER (Ensemble Members...)


Meet Ensemble Member, Gillian Rougier.  She was most recently seen in our bareNaked LA Reading Series in the staged reading of Accidents Waiting To Happen by Jonathan Libman.  Gillian has been a part of the development process and many readings of Libman's new play directed by Producing Artistic Director, Francisco Solorzano.  Gillian has also been active in our readings and development of new screenplays.  We hope you had the chance to see her work with us in RAFT OF THE MADUSA by Joe Pintauro and Kristoffer Diaz's F**KING VIGWAN (OR SWAG).  Gillian's acting strengths and commitment to ensemble collaboration makes her a great representative of Barefoot Theatre Company.   

Where is your hometown?
San Fernando, Trinidad and Tobago

What has been your favorite theatrical experience and why?
With each role, you get to learn more about yourself and your craft. I've been fortunate to work with people that I love and respect. Working on Raft of the Medusa with Barefoot, I felt that I grew so much as a person and as an artist.
    (or)
I had the privilege to see Viola Davis in Fences by August Wilson
and she was breathtaking. I had such a visceral reaction to her performance. I was shaking after!

What is your favorite film and why?
It's so hard to pick! Some of my favorite movies are Melancholia, Atonement
and The Notebook. I love epic stories. 

Why do you do theatre? Why are you in theatre? Why do you love theatre?
I love theatre because there's nothing in the world like it. Theatre presents the opportunity to learn more about yourself and others. Great plays can change your life, your outlook, your soul. I love that. 

I do theatre because I get to connect with something deeper in myself, something so powerful, so freeing. I get to collaborate with amazingly talented people that inspire and motivate me. Also, I am shy and reserved by nature and theatre allows me to go beyond those limiting constraints.

Gillian Rougier:
is proud to be a member of the Barefoot Theatre Company! Recent Credits with Barefoot: The Temp in the workshop production of Kristoffer Diaz’s “Fucking Vigwan” or “Swag.” She was privileged to play Nairobi in the premiere revised edition of Joe Pintauro’s“Raft of the Medusa.” She also did a staged reading with the company of Balm in Gilead.  She holds a BFA in Acting from Brooklyn College (CUNY.) She was born and raised in Trinidad and Tobago.

No comments: