Thursday, October 21, 2010

BACKSTAGE PASS: in the rehearsal room.

Here's a note from Chiara Montalto (writer and performer of Emergency Used Candles) on the rehearsal process:

Victoria Malvagno. Palma Dellaporta. Me. 3 Italian-American women. One script. 47 pounds of Imported cheese. 2,000 cerignola olives. 10 pounds gained on each of us. Ok, that last bit was an exaggeration and a joke, but consensus is that the cheese and olives have just got to go. Rehearsing EUC with Victoria and Palma is such an incredible experience. What's truly amazing is how each of us have not only brought our experience, but our hearts to this process. Victoria's brilliance, experience and nurturing has shed such light on my own story and experience. She is the lens that is bringing the whole thing into focus. What's also incredible is how this process has enabled each of us to grow personally. I don't want to speak for anyone else, but for me, the last few years of my life have really been about loss. Maybe it's partly my age, but in the last few years, I have lost so many people. Rehearsing this material with these women, has helped me to process those painful personal experiences in the best possible way. (pictured: Pop and Chiara)

No comments: